Are you looking to join an exciting impact-driven startup? At Willful we’re known for bringing the mundane task of estate planning out of the shadows and into the same conversation as insurance, financial planning and filing your taxes. While end-of-life planning is a very sensitive subject, our mission at Willful is to use technology and empathy to make the process as simple and painless as possible. It’s a great day at Willful when a customer finishes their will and writes to tell us “Hey, that was kind of fun!”
Our user-friendly design has caught the attention of major publications such as The Globe and Mail, The Toronto Star, Global News, Betakit and more. Willful has been approached for partnerships from industry leaders in banking, insurance and employee benefits, and we have active partnerships with Wealthsimple, Koho, Mercer, and other brands.
Every adult needs a will and should have an emergency plan in place for their own peace of mind and to help guide their loved ones. Giving people an accessible, dependable and affordable option is the fuel that drives us every day. We’ve helped thousands of customers create their wills and Power of Attorney documents since launching in 2017, and now we’re looking to hire a digital design intern to help us continue on our mission.
What does it mean to be a Digital Design Intern at Willful?
As a Digital Design Intern, you’ll report directly to our Product Design Lead, and work with our marketing and partnerships teams to support marketing campaigns and evolve our brand presence and website. You will have the opportunity to take ownership of our brand’s visual identity and evolve it over multiple customer touchpoints including webpages, emails, digital advertising and video.
This is an exciting opportunity to hone your design skills at a company that’s tackling challenging problems in an interesting domain that is ripe for disruption.
What your role will encompass
As a Digital Design Intern, not only will you have a significant impact on the performance of our website and marketing initiatives, you’ll also contribute to creating and improving the design culture and processes at Willful.
This role will encompass:
- Evolving our brand language – contributing to style guides, marketing campaigns, icon and image libraries, infographics, video content and email templates;
- Becoming our Webflow captain – building new landing pages, maintaining and optimizing our current website, building reusable symbols, and image assets for our Marketing team;
- Demonstrating strong conceptual thinking – contribute to campaign ideation sessions with the Marketing team, product design review sessions with the Product Design Lead, and practice presenting your work to the wider team.
We commit to providing you with the full support of the team you will need to be successful, including coaching, access to tools and software, and education opportunities.
Who you are:
- Experience: You have 1-2 years of digital design experience, either through a school or from previous placements and projects. You have a portfolio of work that showcases your experience, skillset and design thinking.
- Goal Oriented: You’re someone who’s self-motivated and takes initiative and ownership of your work. You are eager to learn and approach all challenges as an opportunity to grow.
- Domain Expertise: You have experience with the latest design tools and software such as Adobe suite and Figma. You have strong design foundations, excellent typography, layout and illustration skills, and have a keen eye for detail.
- Strong communicator: You’ve got strong spoken, written and visual communication skills. You can both execute excellent design work and speak to your process.
- Resourceful: As a small team, we need people who can find the answer to any question. You’ll learn anything you need to to get your job done.
- Team player: We’re all in this together and there may be times where we need help in other areas of the business such as product design, QA, or other areas. We’re looking for people who are willing to pitch in anywhere to get the job done.
- Purpose-driven: You are a purpose driven designer and you bring your own set of values. You align with our mission and are empathetic towards our end-users.
- Webflow: Experience with Webflow, either from creating your own portfolio website, from a previous project or general interest in using the tool.
- Video production: You’ve used tools like Adobe Premier, After Effects in the past. You’re familiar with some or all of the process with creating videos, from storyboarding and script writing to filming, editing and motion graphics.
- Product design: You have an interest and/or experience in product design and user research. Maybe you see yourself evolving your career into product design and are interested in learning more about it.
We have a commitment to diverse hiring, and are proud to say that 6 out of our 11 team members - including our CEO - are women.
Due to Emergency orders in Ontario this role is currently remote. Our office, located at 488 Wellington St. W, Toronto, is open to Willful employees on an optional rotational basis to ensure social distancing.
End of October (flexible start date)
- Paid internship at one of Toronto’s most exciting startups
- Opportunities for coaching and mentorship in design, marketing and product
- Work with the latest design tools and software
- Tackle challenging problems in an interesting domain that is ripe for disruption
- Fully stocked kitchen with healthy snacks
- Flexible work from home schedule
- Casual dress code in a creative office environment
How to apply:
Email email@example.com with your resume and a note outlining why you’d be a fit for this role.